Monday, February 6, 2012

100th Anniversary Patch revealed! Along with a word from the artist who created it.


Congratulations to Kate Weeks, the winner of the design contest for our Girl Scouts of Oregon and Southwest Washington 100th Anniversary Patch! Kate is a Cadette in Troop 40168 of Portland.

         
Kate writes: When I discovered that there was a contest for the Girl Scouts OSW 100th Anniversary Patch, I immediately knew that I was going to enter. I love drawing, and I love Girl Scouts. So this opportunity was too good to pass up.
            As I was sitting at my desk brainstorming for the patch, an idea popped into my head: Fireworks! They meant a serious celebration, and I felt that the 100th anniversary of Girl Scouts OSW was something to celebrate. I carefully drew my vision and sent it in.
            When I found out I had won, my troop was at the Moonstruck Chocolate CafĂ©. We were there to celebrate that we had just donated twenty-seven turkeys to the Salvation Army Veteran Center. One of my amazing troop leaders, Tambra, said she had a special announcement. She said that the winner of the Girl Scouts OSW 100th anniversary patch contest was in this troop. Then she said, “Congratulations, Kate!” I was so surprised! All my friends congratulated me, and one of them made little fireworks with her cup of water. That night was the best night of my life.